Featured Post

9/11: The Musical!

Gweg looked at the credit card in his hand and wondered why the world was against him. Gweg: Can we try it again? Gweg was at a pharmacy...

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Deja Blues

Gweg was alone in the apartment watching the news. Satyr had gone out to check on something, what it was, he would not tell Gweg.

The news program had just brought a story about a missing blind girl when Satyr arrived home.

Gweg: Yay, you're back. It's a shame about this missing blind girl. I wonder how she got lost.

Satyr: They still haven't found her?

Gweg: No. They are still searching....Wait a second, what do you mean "They still haven't found her"? This was a breaking news story that was just on. This is the first time anybody is hearing about it.

Satyr: I heard it on the radio.

Gweg: The radio in the car is broken. What did you do?

Satyr sat down on the couch. He looked down at his hands and then at the ceiling. Gweg kicked him in the leg.

Gweg: Tell me what you did!

Satyr: That hurt! Fine, I'll tell you what happened. Last night, I was, uh, "attending" to myself, and I felt these bumps.

Gweg: How did I know that this would involve your dick?

Satyr: Don't interrupt me. So, I'm feeling these bumps and I'm getting curious about them. So today, I went out and I found this blind girl. I had her "attend" to me and she, you know, "read" the bumps.

Gweg: She "read" the bumps! What the hell does that mean?

Satyr: You know, like Braille. Anyway, she "read", let out a scream, and went off running. I'm surprised she managed to get anywhere, since she's blind and all.

Gweg: You sicken me. Here's what we are going to do. We are going to get in the car, and we are going to search for her.

Satyr: The Twilight Zone Marathon!

Gweg: You've seen them all already! Every time we go to Walden's, you go to the culinary section and scream, "It's a cookbook!"

Satyr laughed.

Gweg: Stop it. We are going to find that poor blind girl, so come on.

Satyr and Gweg got into the car. Satyr got into the driver's side.

Gweg: All right, what direction did she run off to?

Satyr: She ran off to the woods.

Gweg: Let's go to the woods then and search for her there.

They arrived at the woods. The woods in the area were big. They covered roughly 3 square miles. The road went through the middle of them.

Gweg: We'll drive through the woods first, then we'll walk around.

Satyr: Sure thing, el Capitan!

They past a small dirt road that led off into the woods.

Satyr: Well, this sure does bring back some memories.

Gweg: Don't even start with that.

Satyr: What's the matter Gweg? Too painful for you?

Gweg: Let's just worry about the girl.

Satyr: Ok, but it's hard not to think about what that part of the woods means to us.

Gweg couldn't help but think about it. That dirt road was a path to the past. When Gweg first met Satyr.

Gweg tried to keep his attention on looking for the girl, but his mind was drawn to the past. And how he managed to be stuck in situations like this to begin with.


FLASHBACK

Gweg had just gotten off of the phone with Mr. Chambers, the man who had interviewed for a job just the other day. Mr. Chambers called with great news, Gweg had got the job and he started that very day.

Gweg had dressed up in his best outfit, ready for work. His mom looked on with pride in her eyes.

Gweg's Mom: I'm so proud of you Gweg! And I know your father would be proud of you too.

Gweg: Dad's passed out again, isn't he.

Mom: Now, we can't blame your father for the things he does. It's so hard for him to provide for us.

Gweg: He's on disability mom.

Mom: Yes, Gweg. That's the sacrifice he had to make to provide for us.

Gweg: He was a telemarketer. And he only got disability because he answered the phone too fast and hit himself in the head.

Mom: Your father has his faults, but he is a good man.

Gweg knew better than to keep the conversation going. He just nodded and adjusted his tie.

Mom: I want you to take my car to your job today.

Gweg: Are you sure mom?

Mom: Yes Gweg, I know you'll be careful in it.

Gweg: Yes I will mom.

Gweg was all set to go and climbed into his mother's car. Gweg has had a license for two years, but has only driven a car five times.

Gweg's job was located in the city. The city was 3 miles away from the suburbs where Gweg lived.

Gweg had pulled out onto the highway that led to the city. He made sure to drive carefully.

Ahead of him, was the greatest looking car he had ever seen. He was so busy admiring it, that when the driver of the car slammed on his breaks, Gweg couldn't react in time.

Gweg crashed right into the car.

The airbags deployed and Gweg was thrown into one. Gweg stumbled out of the car. The driver of the other car was already out.

The Driver: You got insurance boy?

Gweg: It's my mom's car.

The Driver: Are you insured to drive it?

Gweg: I don't know.

The Driver: Well now, that just might be a problem.

Gweg: I'll pay for the damage. I'm starting a new job today.

The Driver: Oh yeah, you sure are. Your new job is being my bitch!

The Driver ran towards Gweg and knocked him down. Gweg tried to get back up, but the driver, swung at him and knocked him out.


Gweg didn't know how long he had been out, but when he woke up, he was in the trunk of a car.
Gweg knew this from the bumps and screeching of the tires.

The car had stopped. Gweg heard a door open and shut. Gweg the heard two voices talking. One he didn't recognize, the other he knew belonged to the driver of the car he had hit.

Other Man: Hey dude, where's your new wheels?

The Driver: Some punk kid rear ended me.

Other Man: That sucks dude. What did you do to him?

The Driver: Nothing yet, but he's going to be paying for the damages for a while.

Other Man: Heh heh. I bet. Fill 'er up?

The Driver: Yes. I'm going to be camping in the woods tonight with a friend.

Other Man: Sounds like fun.

The Driver: Oh, it will be. It will be.

The other man had filled up the tank and the driver had took off again.

Some time later, the car had stopped again. The driver got out and opened the trunk.

The driver pulled Gweg out and threw him to the ground.

The Driver: Here we are! My favorite place in this crappy county! The woods. This is where I have all of my fun.

Gweg: I'm sorry for hitting you! It was an accident!

The Driver: That may be. But you still need to be taught a lesson.

The Driver reached into the back seat of his car. He pulled out a rifle.

The Driver: You see, you didn't just ram your car into the vehicle of any old man. You rammed into the rear end of Richard the Hunter!

Gweg didn't know why, but he cringed at the name. Richard the Hunter saw it and smiled.

Richard the Hunter: I'm a sporting man. I'm going to give you a five minute head start.

Gweg: What do you mean?

Richard the Hunter: I hunt. But I don't just hunt any old game. I hunt the greatest game of them all: man. And today, I'm going to be hunting you.

Gweg: Please don't do this!

Richard the Hunter: You now have four minutes.

Gweg took off. He ran at fast as he could. He could hear Richard laughing. But then, he heard another noise. It sounded like a motor.

It grew louder. Gweg couldn't help but turn around to look.

Gweg saw a car speeding down the dirt road of which Richard's car was parked. The car didn't bother to slow down. Not until it ran right over Richard the Hunter.

What Gweg saw next amazed him. Out of the car, stepped out some sort of mythological creature. Gweg recognized it as a satyr. It was wearing a trenchcoat and talking on a cellular phone.

The satyr took a look at the body of Richard the Hunter.

The Satyr: Hey Cyber, I'm going to have to call you back. I, uh, just hit a deer.

The satyr put away the phone and looked around. He saw Gweg and started to get worried.

The Satyr: Hey man, the guy jumped right out in front of me.

Gweg: It's all right. The guy was going to kill me.

The Satyr: He was?

Gweg: Yeah.

Gweg told the satyr the story. The satyr took it all in.

The Satyr: Well, only one thing to do now. We got to bury him.

Gweg: With what?

The Satyr: I've got a couple of shovels in my car.

Gweg: Do you always carry shovels in the car with you?

The Satyr: Yes I do.

Gweg: All right. Since we are going to be burying a body together, we should introduce ourselves. My name is Gweg.

The Satyr: Gweg? As in G-W-E-G?

Gweg: Yes. What of it?

The Satyr: Nothing. You can just call me Satyr.

Gweg: Just Satyr? Don't you have a real name.

Satyr: Yes.

Gweg could tell by the look in Satyr's eyes, that it was something he was not going to reveal.

They started digging a hole to put the body in. Gweg couldn't help but notice a resemblance between Satyr and Richard.

Satyr: He sure was one ugly mother fucker.

They buried the body.

Satyr: Hey man. Since I just saved your life and all, do you think I could ask a favor of you?

Gweg: Ok.

Satyr: I need a roommate. How do you feel about coming to live in my apartment.

Gweg: Well, I am looking to get out of my parents house. I guess I could.

Satyr: All right? Gweg, this looks to be the start of a beautiful friendship.

End Flashback.

Gweg shook his head and got the images of that day out of it. He looked over at Satyr.

Gweg: What were you doing in the woods that day anyway?

Satyr: Uh. Bird watching.

Gweg: Wait a second! Richard said he was going to be camping with a friend that night. You had two shovels in your car for no apparent reason at all. You were his friend! You were going to hunt me along with him ! That's why he never ran away when you were coming! He was expecting you!

Satyr: It took you this long to figure all of that out.

Gweg: I should kill you right now.

Satyr: Still doesn't change the fact that I saved your life.

Gweg: Oh my god! That's why you needed a new roommate!

Satyr: Oh get over it Gweg. That was a long time ago. I've moved on. It's behind us now.

Gweg: I just can't believe all of this.

Satyr: I can't believe I'm still driving. Here, you take over. We'll go back down the road again, this time you drive and I'll look for the blind girl.

Gweg: Fine.

Gweg took over driving, but he still could not get the thought of what really was going on that day out of his head.

He wasn't really paying attention to the road at all. Not until he hit something.

Gweg slammed on the breaks and looked over at Satyr.

Gweg: What did I hit?

Satyr: Uh, a deer.

Gweg: You are lying, aren't you?

Satyr: It's a good thing I brought the shovels.

The End.

No comments: